Episode #20 - The Blur-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named
The recent release of iPhones that improve Portrait mode spurred us to talk about bok... Kirk can’t say the word. That’s okay, because neither can Apple VP Phil Schiller (correctly, anyway). Yes, we’re discussing background blur and shallow depth of field, how to get the effect with traditional cameras and lenses as well as the faux version in some smartphones, and why you’d want to in the first place.
Masters of Photography, online masterclasses with the greatest photographers in the world. Get 5% off any course with the code PHOTOACTIVE. https://mastersof.photography
- Bokeh (Wikipedia)
- Bokeh in Pictures, The Luminous Landscape
- Snow Rail, Jeff’s photo with extremely shallow depth of field.
- Kirk's Flowers & Macro gallery on his photos website; there are a number of photos with shallow depth of field.
- The Timeless Beauty of Cape Cod
- Joel Meyerowitz: Cape Light
- Lensbaby Sol 45
- #iphoneportraitmode on Instagram
- SD memory cards: The features and specifications to look for, Macworld
- Best USB-C memory card readers, Macworld
Subscribe to the PhotoActive podcast mailing list at the bottom of any page at the PhotoActive web site to be notified of new episodes and be eligible for occasional giveaways. If you’ve already subscribed to the mailing list, you’re automatically entered.
If you like the show, please subscribe in iTunes or your favorite podcast app, and please rate the podcast. And don't forget to join the PhotoActive Facebook group to discuss the podcast, share your photos, and more.